Sunday, April 27, 2008

"Seattle's South Lake Union Trolley"


Seattle prides itself on immodesty. Here the alternative lifestyle is embraced and considered mainstream. But when our South Lake Union Trolley's slogan was unveiled, "Ride the S.L.U.T." the natives squirmed. The line has been changed to the South Lake Union Streetcar...a named desired.

My friend of 45 years, John Fulper, models a popular Seattle souvenir that harkens back to Seattle's sleazier days.

LATER ADDED: A heads-up reader comments here that the "S.L.U.T." was never the official name, but started as a gag and is now urban legend. It is officially the South Lake Union Streetcar. I stand corrected. Tomorrow I visit the new "Seattle Health Institute Tower."
More on that later.-Steve



3 comments:

allieger said...

Not to spoil the fun but...it was never officially called South Lake Union Trolley. That was just someone's idea of a joke that people keep repeating as fact. It is and always has been South Lake Union Streetcar.

Unknown said...

Nice pic!

Steve Shay said...

Thanks allieger. At this point I'll take any comment I can get! I admit I thought it was fact. Here is a quote from a Seattle PI article. OK. You are probably correct, but I do not trust the word of the two spokespeople quoted here from that article:

Seattle transportation spokesman Gregg Hirakawa and Vulcan spokeswoman Kym Allen say the name "streetcar" wasn't selected to avoid the provocative acronym. Trolley seemed vintage, whereas streetcar sounded more modern, Hirakawa said.